View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: PGA Championship Thread

[ QUOTE ]
tuq, we agree on pretty much everything golf-related, but come on.. how can you not like Jim Nantz's corniness?

Dan Hicks is just a poor man's Jim Nantz. he doesn't even have an awesome opening slogan like "Hello, friends."

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh, it's not like I HATE Nantz, he's just all over the broadcast, too much IMO. CBS has the Masters and the PGA and for those two they trot out the heavy artillery - hole announcers for 14-17, three on-course guys, and Faldo and Nantz on 18. This includes dusting off Bill Macatee, who probably mops the floors of CBS Corporate the other 50 weeks of the year, and the unstoppably awesome Verne Lundquist. Yet Nantz sees fit to inject his take on things all the time. Yeah, I know he was Fred Coupleseses roommate in college, but the guys he's stealing time from are all ex tour players, some with serious credentials (Lundquist isn't but he's impossibly awesome and he could read the Torah at half speed and I'd still listen).

All that said, I don't mind him stealing airtime from McCord since he's gay.

Hicks on the other hand just hosts and gets the [censored] out of the way for Johnny and the rest of the crew.