View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Have I Discovered Another Mathematical Football Coaching Error?

[ QUOTE ]
i linked articles in the other thread

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the lone article you cited in support of the 2 pt. conversion. It does not provide those stats; it provides the sentence I quoted earlier on. So, no, you didn't provide stats. (EDIT: To be clear, it provides some stats earlier in the article; it does not provide direct, hard evidence to explain exactly what it means by when the rate of going for it went down, the success rate went up. But these are the stats that matter for your argument.)

Let's look at the other article, showing that coaches have already thought about all of this stuff and taken it into account. Here's a typical quote:

[ QUOTE ]
"This is a professor from Cal-Berzerkely?" asked Giants head coach Jim Fassel, in the true tradition of a former Stanford man.

Fassel turned a sheet with the equation on it sideways, then upside down in a humorous attempt to absorb its subtleties.

"What does the professor coach?" Fassel asked. "Maybe," he added, "he needs a few more classes to teach. Too much free time?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Brian Billick, the cerebral head coach of the Baltimore Ravens, isn't so sure about all of the professor's numbers.

"There are only two numbers," Billick said. "And those are 50-50. You either make it, or you don't."

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from telling us that Billick would be something in BBV, I'm not sure how this is supposed to be indicative that coaches have performed this type of searching analysis and found it wanting.