View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Etrade Potential Bankruptcy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SIPC standard insurance is 500,000 with a 100,000 sub-limit for cash for your brokerage account. I would guess that ETrade has an Excess SIPC insurance that would insure your account even further.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay so anyone.... explain this to me.

if someone bought $750,000 worth of mutual funds 8 years ago under Scudder Funds which later got bought out by CSFB (Credit Suisse) (and lets say $250,000 in stocks were purchased under Credit Suisse), and then later by DLJ Direct, then by Harris Investments, and then by ETrade...

(or something close to that scenario)

you're saying that these funds are PERFECTLY safe being held in the ETrade brokerage account?

if ETrade goes belly up will a person be able to move them to another brokerage company within 1 week?

how does the $500,000 gov't insurance play into this. i assume it must be for something else other than the mutual fund holdings referred to above.

appreciate your help. thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

Your CASH is insured up to $100k per account and stocks INSURED up to $500k.
They are SAFE!!

However...if you still feel uncomfortable...move your account to another BD

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i want to know. what stocks are insured to $500k?????

also if a person has a large cash position over 100k they can put half in the etrade savings earning about 4.7% and the other half in the etrade money market earning crap.

i believe this gives you 100k insurance on both. was also told that if you fax them beneficiary info that the coverage doubles to 200k on each. anyone know if this is true??

again thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always try something insanely radical, like...

reading about the supplemental insurance on the ETrade website.