View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

Wow. when we stay away from religion, we have some pretty good discussions on here. I think we should have a "Religion" forum and outlaw religion topics here.

Now...

SAT criteria for Mensa: pre-1974- 1300, 1974-Jan 1994-1250 , after 1994- NA

I do believe there is a pretty high correlation in SAT and intelligence, although i do think what tamedeuces says has some truth, that intelligence has many factors. To soley base intelligence on IQ tests or SAT is wrong.

I also think that just because you have a 1560 on your SAT and Joe has a 1400, Joe COULD be smarter. The DEGREE to which people's intelligence varies is not measured completely by standardized tests.

Also, along the lines of what tame said, the ability to APPLY your knowledge in the real world, TO ME, is a part of intelligence. The ability to control your anger or get along in the world are facets of it. that doesnt mean, someone suggested, that a docile idiot is a genius. the 170 IQ whos a frickin nutcase is smarter than him, but maybe not smarter than the 155 with better social and emotional skills.

i finsihed 56 of 128 in HS. I made a D in advanced Math, and she gave me that. I didnt try, i slept in class, I never studied, I didnt do my homework, I was the classic underacheiver. All i wanted to do was play ball and hang out.

But I made a 690 on the math SAT in 1986 BECAUSE ITS CORRELATED WITH IQ.

Another thing- there are people who CHOOSE to go to pennstate instead of harvard. And how hard a class is or how deep the curriculum is varies not just from school to school, but from prof to prof. There mite be a guy at Louisville teaching a class deeper than at harvard. Unless youve been at both u dont know.

Bottom line- everything and everyone needs to be evaluated individually. Generalizations do just that- generalize.