View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Pushing with overcards

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

I feel like I have a hand similar to this near the beginning of each session: good starting cards, miss the flop, push to see if anyone pushes back. Sometimes--even often--they all crumble, but if they don't I have to decide whether to go to showdown with overcards.

In this case the middle pair on the flop seems good for me as there are slightly fewer cards that are improved by that flop. I push, all but one fold, and I have no reads whatsoever since I'm new to the table. Villains at the levels I'm playing (.10/.20 and lower) often fold to a turn bet, this one didn't. So the last question is whether I pay one more bet to make a note about the villain. Usually I pay that bet, this time I decided not to, more or less by coin flip.

Am I leaking badly here? The alternative approach to the flop would be something like: 1 or 2 other players, bet, 4 or more players, check, 3 players, go by reads or table texture or coin flip. With one unknown left on the turn it feels right to bet.

OK, about that ATs, it's a call on my starting hand chart. It's very likely that I will soon switch that to a raise. If I had raised UTG then the flop decision probably would have involved only one or two other players...which this time would probably have brought me to the same turn decision.