View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have you guys seen who closes games in the NL Central? good-not-great (debatable point) is the MF-ing nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another point I missed the first time around. Not only do the Reds improve, but they weaken one of the supposed frontrunners. Have fun with Derrick Turnbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're defending the signing of a closer (remember, the Reds will only use him in "save situations" because they're stupid) at $11.5 million a year from age 33-36?

I don't care how bad their bullpen has been...they need a lot of pitching, and spending $46 million on ~275 innings of relief from a mid-30's closer is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I give the Reds credit for identifying their biggest weakness and then signing the best available option to strengthen that weakness. Not only was this a "good" signing by the Reds, it might go down as the best of the offseason!

The Reds don't need as much pitching as you think. Harang and Arroyo are two solid, reliable guys to front the rotation. Belisle's ERA was crappy, but his periphs suggest a close to league average starter. They've got three MLB ready young guns in Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, and arguably the best pitching prospect in the minors, Johnny Cueto. One of those three will be a star starting in 2008, so they really only need one of the others to be solid. It might take some time to figure out who's going to fill what role, but the Reds don't need to sign a starter. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Reds should now focus their attention on a high risk/reward closer like Gagne or Foulke.