View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: If you had to invest $1,000,000 of your money on ONE poker player...

[ QUOTE ]
Since no one mentioned him, I'll say David. No way he sits in a game unless he has a good edge. I'd pic a bigger limit player like Barry for the absolute EV $ amount, but the variance is just too damn high for my liking. Barry could easily lose the million, and then I'd be SOL.
David would have a solid +ev, and a very very low (basically miniscule/nonexistant) ROR
My only issue is that he probably doesn't play too many hours, so I'd prefer to pic a different 300/600 reg, except I don't know who else to pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, he's right. I may get you a big win, but I might lose the million also. And I don't make good game selection decisions in many cases. I think if someone else was investing, I would make better decisions, but the caution might also cost me some of my aggressiveness.

Example of bad decision: I was up a little over a million at the WSOP and I didn't like the lineup and the risk in the big NLH/PLO game. I played chinese poker waiting for the lineup to get better, which would probably have meant that I wouldn't get a seat anyway.

Meanwhile, in the other top section, there was 600-1200 game with some Europeans playing badugi and triple draw -- games they don't usually play. My girlfriend told me to check it out, but I was too lazy to even walk over and check out a game smaller than I usually play. Chau played and picked up $150,000. I got stuck in chinese and dusted off several hundred thousand over the next two days.

I have now forced myself to go to the commerce a couple times a week to play in the 400-800, but what I notice is that when the game is good (and often has been going for more than 24 hours) I can't get a seat. To have the most success, I would have to camp out there and not miss out on the good situations. If I were 25 years old with no family, I would do that. At 52 years old with too many responsibilities, it's not possible.

Barry