View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Results and Panel Comments

First off, I think this was the most interesting hand that has been studied in this series so far. I did a double take when I saw the push on the river. Personally, I've tried pushing (or overbetting) the river to represent "air" (instead of making a regular size bet) and have had some success with people calling me down. From the flop play of the villain, I interpreted the min-check raise as a sign of weakness; I play on lower buy-in tourneys and see this "strategy" used every once in a while. It seems to almost always indicate weakness, and if you have already determined that the person has no idea what they are doing (relatively speaking of course), then you KNOW they are just trying to get a cheap fold. I would not have guessed such silly playing would be present in a $650 satellite, so with that assumption, my inclination was to play the whole hand scared. Kudos to Jason for his line of reasoning.

I agree that the check on the turn is the biggest clue that the Villain had top pair/overpair <QQ and got scared when the Queen hit. What surprises me is that he would call our bet at that point if he was so scared of the queen. I suppose he was praying that we were on the flush draw. But then he called our all-in on the river after the flush hit, so I guess he thought we either had AK or missed our straight (how he would put us on a straight draw I don't know...). Regardless, villain's thinking in this hand is simply alien to me (I guess (hope!) that's a good thing). Can't wait for the next hand!!!

I will now proceed to grossly misuse this newfound information and spew my chips on the river to a donk who is holding 4 high. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

-Gross