View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Ask me about financial success to spending 2 years state prison

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going to jail is evidence that you broke the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is simply flat out wrong, 100%.

Going to jail is evidence only that he was convincted of a crime, not that he committed it. www.dictionary.com and then look up "evidence"

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*, I really have no desire to play this game anymore and like everyone wants me to stop, but when I'm so obviously right and being countered by people who don't know English/can't even be bothered to make an argument, how can I not reply?
[ QUOTE ]
ev·i·dence /ˈɛvɪdəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ev-i-duhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -denced, -denc·ing.
–noun
1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he went to jail tends to prove/is grounds for belief that he broke the law, on the basis that we know that the vast majority of people who went to jail broke the law.

Why do you people think evidence has to be 100% foolproof to be evidence?? It doesn't, read the definition. No going to jail doesn't prove he broke the law, but going to jail is evidence that he broke the law, it "tends" to indicate it.

After you've looked up the definition of evidence and see the word tends in there, look up that word and see that it means "to have tendency", "to be disposed or inclined", and we all know that if you've been to jail, you probably broke the law.

Summary:
1) Going to jail does not necessarily equal having broken the law.
2) However, it *tends* to be the case that people who have been to jail, have broken the law.
3) Therefore, going to jail != prove having broken the law.
4) But going to jail = evidence of having broken the law.