Thread: Eugenics
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Eugenics

[ QUOTE ]
What are the problems with eugenics (other than possible moral problems)?

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no problem with it other than "possible moral problems", but those possible moral problems are significant.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't genes matter enough? Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, that we would try to increase the amount of positive traits (empathy, intelligence, happiness, beauty...) by only making new people from sperm and egg cells of people with those traits.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't see a problem with having a committee of judges that decides based on their standards who should be allowed to reproduce? And how would they enforce it? Forced sterilization? Forced abortion? Forced sterilization was actually a policy (or at least a legal option often carried out) of many western countries in the early 1900s and I for one would not like to see it return.

[ QUOTE ]
Or perhaps letting everybody have one own child first, because it's such an important thing for us to get an own child.

[/ QUOTE ]
Despite that it still sounds unpleasant.

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's the stigma because of nazis and "unnaturality", but I think we should try to get over that if it means we can solve other huge problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see a stigma against forced sterilization as a bad thing. You don't even have to make a slippery slope argument. But while the nazi incident shouldn't necsarrily be a reason (and I tend not to agree with slippery slope arguments) against supporting any sort of eugenics, it is still important to remember history and how eugenic attitudes led to forced euthenasia of many people and eventually leading to the holocaust. That is we have to be careful not to repeat past mistakes.