View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Marrying a Girl From a Different Culture

Anyone have experience with it? I have an American friend who’s been married for almost two years to a Korean girl, living over in Korea with her. He called last weekend to tell us he might be coming home without her. He just called me again this morning sounding extremely lonely and upset with his wife. Apparently they’re about to kill each other in that high-rise apartment of theirs. When I said “You sound just a little homesick,” he goes “You have no idea. Homesick is an understatement.”

I mentioned it to some of my family members and one of them (who hangs out with some Koreans) told me that the two cultures have many opposite characteristics and values. I thought that was interesting. Anyway, I got to thinking about how weird it would be to marry someone from a different culture. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 people who have done it. Two of the three are now divorced. I really liked all three of the foreign spouses. I guess cultural differences can take a toll on a relationship.

I’m curious if anyone’s tried dating or marrying someone outside of their culture. Was it difficult? I always fantasized about marrying a German guy. Love those accents! I wonder how different his values would be from mine.