Thread: Coping with ADD
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Coping with ADD

I used to take adderall very occasionally in high school and it was a tremendous help for school. I always thought I showed signs of ADD, but it wasn't with any hyperactivity and I didn't get diagnosed until a few months ago. I've had a lot of problems getting used to adderall and am close to trying ritalin or something else, this non stimulant someone mentioned sounds intriguing. Having easy access to adderall is tough- on the one hand it really really helps me with everyday social situations and conversation and is the only way I can get anything done for school or play a lot of hands. On the other, it messes with my sleeping and eating to the point that I become somewhat of a zombie, and is very addictive.

Add as it relates to poker is odd. I've always played tournaments and never gotten in to cash games because I'm very good at paying a little bit of attention to a number of different things, but find it impossible to actually pay close attention to more than one thing. Consequently I made a lot of money at party sngs when I could just learn a fairly simple system and grind grind grind, but have never really developed as a player because I intentionally found ways to play and make money while actively thinking as little as possible. I can play up to 30 low buyin stars sit n gos simultaneously at a winning roi with no misclicks, but can't concentrate on the whims and pace of even two nl cash games.

Being at the computer is simply difficult for me, having two big monitors+aim+itunes+multiple tables is both an ADD dream and nightmare. Like ZJ, I don't have any trouble concentrating in live poker. Generally the combination of higher stakes and other factors (incl. medication) is enough to get me to that sort of "hyperfocus" state, though of course I'll lose focus from time to time like anyone might.

edit:
to add more to my post. . .

there are definitely good times and bad times, and it can be really hard to know how my brain is working. This is more of a problem with poker, as sometimes I will buy in to a few mtts and then find myself ridiculously impatient and play every hand and bust before the first break in all of them, and other times when I have tremendous patience and can play only 5% of hands or whatever and not be the least bit bored. It can be the same with reading or other things. I might start a book and without even realizing it finish the whole thing in one night, or I might gloss over a few pages, thenrealize I have no idea what happened and not be able to maintain focus long enough to read a whole sentence.