View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Help playing NL live for the first time?

As much as you want to hit-and-run, you're going to have to play actual real live poker. Buy-in for the max. Or at the very least $200. You want to have two more buy-ins in your pocket, but even $300 is low for this kind of game. I've played these games with $100 and felt extremely constricted.

Count the pot by following the action. It's not that difficult to do. Practice when you're not in hands. I don't know how it is at Borgata, but places I've played, the dealers often keep the chips stacked and occasionally use racks (they allow players to use racks, so when one is all in, they just put those in the pot). But it's not consistent and you should be practicing keeping track of the action anyway. It's simple math, just keep doing it.

Do not look at your cards before action is to you, in any game. There are many reasons why this is important, mostly dealing with slight edges, but slight edges are what you need. I'm sure this has been discussed before, so look around for it. At this point I'll simply say that I love Internet players in my live games. They're +EV for me. Looking at your cards immediately is part of this.