View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: 30-60 hand against top poster

I'm going to present very different thoughts from what I've read so far. I'm looking to learn and I welcome criticism if nobody likes this:

Why not play some poker w/ hero's hand? I don't know this Justin A fellow but what does he raise with from the SB against a player who has a weak/tight image that raises from UTG+1? SB's either got a big pair or something like AK. Maybe Tens or less but that doesn't feel right. What does it look like to SB when the initial raiser just calls? To me it would look like A-face, a medium pair or AA trying to trap (unless he has the AK himself).

So the SB bets into a flop of AA6. What is hero doing just calling? Hoping that SB has Tens? Looking to hit a 2 outer on the turn? Unless he's planning on raising the turn regardless of what comes he's either guessing he might be best or hoping to hit on the turn. I don't like guessing and I like hoping even worse. Why not play SB for a big pair and raise this flop and confirm SB's fear that UTG+1 has the A-face after all? If he gets re-raised then he's got a decision to make. Was SB testing him w/ his Kings or Queens or does he have an Ace? For me to make that decision I'd like to have played against the SB for a while to know how he plays. If I thought he'd re-raise w/ a big pair to see how I react I'd pop him again. If I get re-raised I fold. If it turned out that I cost myself a few small bets, so what? At least I don't come off like a wet noodle who just calls. That's got to be worth something in the future.

I'd either play it this way or just fold the Jacks. To me calling w/ them seems the worst choice by far.

The turn seems to be confirmation that SB has no Ace and is fearful of getting raised here. How does UTG+1 not bet in this spot?

On the river, once hero played the hand this weakly I can't see him betting at this late stage. He's likely to get called by a better hand or c/r by a weaker one that's decided hero is 'full of it' or is so weak that he'll fold a better one.