View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Is Poker Playing a better test for would be presidents?

yah i'm going to say thats wrong.

do you play chess? and do you play high level chess? I would guess you might answer yes you play chess but on what regularity?

Both games, are games of skill, but poker contains a large element of luck. You could not beat a top chess player 1 out of 10 times however you have a decent shot to beat a pro poker player 4 out of 10 times perhaps even greater.

Poker deals with uncertainties and chess deals with finite knowlegde. In poker you don't know what your opponents cards are and you don't know what cards will come on the flop. In chess you see everything so it becomes a game of skill at out witting your opponent confusing him into making poor plays and setting him up later.

The thing about chess is that computers haven't cracked that either, well not atleast to win or tie 100% of the time. The thing is that during (there are 3 basic parts of chess the early game/mid game/later or finishing game) the mid game there are so many different permutations that not even a computer could figure it out, they did some bbc story a couple of months back about finally cracking checkers - chess is so many many so many many times more complicated it will take a long time till we have the "perfect" chess program.

With poker though, well its very subjective because your evaluating and judging your play so many times through out a hand. There are obv. good and bad plays in poker, however when talking about a good play well there are so many different tactics to take that its difficult to proper judge it or to say that playing one way is better than another.

I believe that there will be or are already computer programs that can beat lower limits of nl texas holdem but it will take sometime before they are capable of continiously beating the pro's.

2cent