View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Grade the September Magazine

I gave it a B, which I think is solid without being exceptional. I don't think there should be 2 sports betting or tourney strategy articles in that same issue, in order to have a little more balance. Even though I don't play O8 but only PLO & NL, I thought that was a very good piece of strategic analysis. The game theory articles are always good. All 3 of the journalism articles including yours were good. In fact since you labled Mason's article a "classic" articles, I think you might consider having that be a regular feature with articles not just from the 2+2 writers, but also previous articles in the magazine no longer availabe for which people make requests later if the author is willing to have it put up again. So overall good first effort in editing.

I realize having made that comment about there being 2 tourney and 2 sports betting articles, topics which I admit don't personally interest me, that you are dependant on what is submitted to you. But I would encourage you to try to "commission" some articles like magazines often do by asking some of the best posters in the various forums to write about either a topic of their choosing or maybe some topics that have been requested (There could be ongoing threads here for posters to make their requests either of specific posters or for various narrow enough topics).

Also, even though they would hold little interest for me, I can tell from browsing various forums over time including ones about forms of poker I don't play, that there is a huge interest in player stories, i.e. how various players both tourney and cash game, make their livings online, how they built and hold onto their rolls, what their playing day is like, what they do to better themselves and the like. Kind of like your own 5 years in Vegas threads and similar threads by other posters. So maybe there could be a semi-regular article in the category "making a living playing poker online" or something like that.