View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Grade the September Magazine

I graded this a "B," and then went back and read the non-strategy articles. Now I'd give it a "C."

I really liked the O8 (this had to have been written by Buzz) and bubble articles that you mentioned. I thought your article on stud was interesting, and Malmuth's book reviews are always worth reading. If I was interested in football betting I'm sure I would have found those articles helpful, but I'm not interested.

In the future I would love to see more omaha 8 articles, as there isn't a whole lot of information out on that game as the two good books on the topic are quite short. I would also like to see some discussion of some of the less well known games that have virtually nothing written on them like PLO8, Badugi, etc. Definitely more strategy articles on the whole.

As for criticisms, I think some of the pseueo-strategy articles were pretty weak. I am quite familiar with the workings of the ultimatum game, but I think equating that with getting calls at the poker table was a major stretch. I'm also not sure the magazine needs multi-part series on bankroll management. This information is already out there, and I've never seen it put in more complicated terms. That's enough complaining from me for the day, but in the future I think it would help the magazine to replace these sorts of articles with strategy articles.

Good luck with the magazine...