View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Backwards or forwards?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys are all nuts. I'd travel back maybe 15 years tops and be one of the wealthiest guys on the planet by today. I wouldn't want to be "the" wealthiest.

I'd also try to save millions of lives if possible (although people would probably think I'm loony).

I think many of you are underestimating just how valuable it would be to go back even 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts? Only if money was the lead driver. I was thinking more in terms of interesting and useful. Agree if money was the driver a short time would safe and easy.

greedy b.. , luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Money AND security.... I would think it very risky to just pop into existence 3000 years from now. I wouldn't be at all confident there'd even be a planet left.

Going too far back doesn't appeal to me either for reasons already stated. So I guess if you're a big risk taker, the future would be better. I just don't have alot of confidence in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 3000 years in the future is definitely the high-variance play. Going a couple years into the past, you could pretty much predict exactly how the rest of your life was going to play out. You'd be rich and famous and dangerous, and there would be pretty big risks associated with that, but nothing compared to going 3000 years into the future. But think of the benefits! I think I could get more joy and fulfillment out of a week in 5007 than a lifetime in 1932.

I suppose I also assign a fairly high probability to there being human life on Earth in 3,000 years, and a slightly lower but still fairly high probability to it being more advanced that at present.