View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read this thread or the book but I'm opinionated and arrogant: I'm pretty sure they don't recommend an exploitable pf strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they do, with some hand-waving "of course you have to mix it up a bit" thrown in.

[/ QUOTE ]

jimpo,

the "point" of SPR is not preflop raise sizes. SPR is simply a good gauge to see how different hands my play out from beginning to end. if you play in tough games where it's not feasible to do anything but raise a standard fixed amount, fine, SPR can still help you plan. (but I do wonder how you "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt that you'd be so exploited if you mixed up your pf raises.) we'll cover more advanced material in Volume Two. suffice to say, Volume One is not geared for people who play in Brian Townsend's games. Also, the "whole book" is not about SPR. It's a major chapter, and we thought it'd be a good way of framing other ideas like planning, etc. Sorry you're so upset.

thanks for the comments,

Sunny

[/ QUOTE ]

I much appreciate that you can also listen to (ok, perhaps overly) negative feedback.

I do think SPR is an invaluable concept and the book does an amazing job covering new ground on that subject.

However when reading the book I feel like I am being conveyed the message "all you have to do is to make sure to have correct SPR, then flop TP or overpair and bet pot until you are all-in". That's a bit simplistic view about NLHE, is it not? Reading that kind of text (whether the message is explicitly written out or not) frustrates me to no end. The message about SPR is a bit overdone at places in my opinion.

I think I will remain sceptical until someone actually does a cardrunners style of video playing 4 tables of NL50 or something, using the SPR approach (like open raising to 7bb instead of 4bb with top pair hands, that is recommended in the book, after all). Until then I can't help feeling that it is nor practical for online multitabling.