View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: losing poker players

Admitting a loss is never easy.
I have lost $1200 in my first year playing no limit.
My losses have slowed up a bit after studying a few books and reading some internet forums, 2+2 being the most useful.

The main reason I lost was bonus chasing on cash tables. Now nobody ever loses on cash tables, right? Just start on the very low limits and build up. It might be possible to make $2-3 an hour on the .01/.02 tables but hardly worth it because it doesn't help you to clear bonuses/ earn rakeback points on most sites.
You are pushed towards the .10/.25 tables and upwards which should be fine for a $300 bankroll.
The problem is that these tables are $25 $50 dollar no limit
and people will go all in preflop with any two picture cards or Ax. They will also raise you half your stack on some of your decent hands like 10/10.AK suited etc.
I would vary my play but the variance always got me.
Getting my KK/AA cracked 2 or 3 times knocked a big hole in my bankroll and all I have done is play correctly.
Effectively I had 12 BB's not 1200.

I would then go on tilt by playing in $20 SNG $100 cash tables $30 MTT's until I reloaded.
All stupid beginner mistakes that nobody ever seems to admit to.

Sure, I could of played limit/ pot limit poker but like low limits you don't feel you are making very much money and so you cannot be any good or learning too much.

Success is generally measured in this way, so I would often lie to friends and relatives that I was doing ok at poker.

With about $50 left in two poker accounts I have vowed not to reload. Playing mostly small stakes 7 card stud, freerolls and $2 SNG's.