View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: How have you taken advantage of being a poker pro?

Poker has been nice to me.

- At 17 take a gap year from school to travel around Thailand and Australia. Meet thai/aussie girls. Did schoolies in the Gold Coast. Watched the new year fireworks at Sydney harbor w/ a large drunken group of europeans who we met that morning. Scuba Diving in Ko Tao. Surf on Manly Beach. Thai cooking lessons in Samui. It was a great time, at a great age. Just shooting the [censored] w/ people from all over the world at every different hostel was great.

- Being able to drop a maths degree that i had no interest in. Without large poker goals and something that i could set my mind to i would have trapped myself in that course.

- Being able to move to a major city and getting an awesome apartment so i didn't have to have a long distance relationship w/ the girl i met in university. Then the benefits of a big city, tons of music gigs and local bands, places to eat, closeby places to visit.

- Just being flexiable enough to always go on trips/weekends/nights out with whichever group of friends. Amsterdam, Dublin, Newcastle, Scotland, Barconela all happened because a certain friend would want to go and know i'm available to go.

- Getting family and friends presents. The main one here is always arranging a nice meal with my whole family and gf when i visit home.

Tons of smaller things, increased confidence, being able to order TONS of books, eat well all the time, lack of stress, being able to buy music, learning that money brings opportunities not happiness.

This year i need to use my free time to try out some volunteery work. I think i'd enjoy teaching kids or the such.

Planned already: Rage Against the Machine at Coachella. Road trip around eastern europe. WSOP. Hopefully: Scuba at the red sea and learn to kite surf.