View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 10, Poker, variance, and l

[ QUOTE ]
A wise man once explained that there is no deserve in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you're referring to respected 2+2 poster MLG. I'm remember reading that in his well (which you can find in the MTT community FAQ) and actually copied it down to remind me of this incredible important concept. I bolded the (imo) important part.

MLG-
[ QUOTE ]
“I think a lot of players become too invested in poker. That is, they have too much of an emotional investment in outcomes. Realistically it happens to all of us, but it’s important to keep in mind why you play poker. If you are playing because it’s fun and you enjoy the challenge then the emphasis should be on making correct decisions. I honestly enjoy getting involved in a difficult hand that I have to think about, even if I make a mistake (or make the right decision and lose the pot anyway). It is easy though to slip and think that because you perceive yourself as “good” or “better” you deserve to win. That’s just not the case. There is no deserve in poker. That’s a pretty important concept, and if you can’t swallow it poker will kill you. That’s what I mean by being too invested, feeling like you deserve to win because you play well. You don’t. When you take up poker seriously part of the bargain is throwing the word deserve right out the window.”

[/ QUOTE ]