View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: UFC 77 Discussion thread

The best bet on the card (and in the UFC since Hughes/Gracie) is Sylvia over Brandon Vera. Vera has an insanely low chance of winning this fight by KO. Arlovski hit Tim with probably the loudest punch I've heard in the UFC and Tim won the fight anyways. Vera doesn't have anywhere near that kind of power with his hands, and Tim's height neutralizes the clinch. Also Tim's reach neutralizes leg kicks (ask Ricco what happens when you try leg kicking Tim)

I live in San Diego and trained at City Boxing in the past when Vera was associated with them. As long as I've known Brandon Vera, he's struggled with larger men. He competes in MMA as opposed to straight Muay Thai because he doesn't take punishment well and his straight boxing is below average (and I'm being kind).

If you pick Vera, you're basically saying that Tim's back surgery didn't go very well and that he's a shell of his former self. The only chance Vera has is Tim not coming ready to fight. Looking at the shape he was in at the weighin, that's not a factor at all.

Bet the house on Tim. I got in on this when it was +175 a few weeks ago, but even as low as even, this is still a no-brainer. Sylvia can win this by decision or 2nd/3rd round KO. Vera cannot win by knockout, will have an insanely difficult time winning by decision due to Tim's jab and will win by submission probably 1 in 10 or less. How exactly can he beat Tim?

EDIT:
Also, something to consider about the main event. I'm not betting the main event, I don't see much value in the line either way. I'm cheering for Rich, but the line is accurate IMO.
But anyways, Anderson had visa problems and didn't make it into Ohio until a couple days ago. Both he and Franklin are larger middleweights, so the cut is important. Anderson's cut was rushed due to circumstance. While both he and Franklin made it comfortably, this can't be underestimated. Franklin's gas tank is a huge edge over Anderson's (which is not very deep at all). In a 5 round fight, this edge will be even bigger.
I think the logic of saying that Anderson has 5 rounds to put away Rich is faulty, not JUST because of the weight cut issues, but it's a factor. Anderson by 1st or 2nd round KO, but if Rich makes it into the 3rd round, he has either a late round GnP TKO or UD practically in the bag. If Rich survives the early storm, Anderson WILL gas.