View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Kool-Aid didn’t kill those people.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been meaning to make a post about this...

It seems very obvious to me that people in groups or masses are on a whole, much less intelligent (or is it more gullible?), than people acting on an individual or small scale basis. There is just no other way to explain things like the Jonestown massacre, the re-election of Bush, and religion in general.

No offense, but I'd be willing to bet that if you somehow managed to live to this point in life having never heard of religion before, and someone came up to you today and tried to convince you that there's this all-poweful sky god, see? And no one can see him, ok? But he knows your every thought and can hear billions of people's prayers simultaneously, see? If you piss him off, he will send you to this very nasty place. But if you only do what he says, he will grant you eternal life even after you die! Well.... Let's just say I highly doubt you'd buy any of it and would probably laugh in the guy's face.

Yet religion, Jime Jones, Charles Manson, etc., all thrive upon "the group mind" and this is what makes them so powerful (and at times, dangerous).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good post thank you for this.