View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: \"Ideal\" body fat percentages by age

[ QUOTE ]
i think that excellent for 19-24 would be <10%

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Im really suprised to see 17.5 being rated excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the source of these charts or what they mean by "ideal" but I'm guessing their criteria are different from yours. Some people have the opinion that lower bf = better, but that's primarily based on what they think looks good rather than what is healthiest.

Obviously it's not healthy to be a lard ass, but that also doesn't mean that 0% bf should be anyone's goal either. People at the extremes of both very low and very high bf both tend to partake in very unhealthy practices. The interesting thing is that fat people who are eating themselves to death are viewed as unhealthy, while people who cycle through extreme diets while taking diuretics and other unhealthy substances are viewed as people we should emulate.

Also, like the rest of the things related to fitness, an "ideal" bodyfat should be dependent on your goals. You're not going to see many competitive powerlifters at <10% bf and you're not going to see many competitive marathon runners at >10%. It's all relative, but I think there's probably a huge range that's "healthy" and in my opinion it doesn't make a lot of sense to even look at bf unless your goals, such as looks/cardiovascular health, are directly impacted by it.