View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Is this worth buying or too much of my net worth?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it seemed like OOT was a good middle ground between EDF and B4l. I don't really think CTH is appropriate either as this relates more to a life choice. I have trouble coming to financially sound decisions on my own at times, so this is where your opinion comes in.

Basically, I have a net worth of ~20k, give or take a k. I play poker full time, and I play MANY tables, 16+. Right now I am playing on a 24" and a 20" monitor. The 20" monitor basically sucks and is noticeably dimmer than the 24, mostly because it's an envision and several years old.

I'm considering springing for a 30". The Dell model is around $1400.

However, the one I have my eye on is the Gateway. It's around $1700 before taxes and has several outputs on it along with speakers. It's basically built in a way so that I could attach my xbox360 and my directv unit to it and have everything built into one.

This is significant because in a week my roommate is moving out and is taking his 42" plasma with him. Therefore I would need to buy a new tv; he's also offering to sell it to me and my other roommate for $500.

So, considering my net worth and online poker play, would it be financially responsible for me to purchase the 30"? Would it be better to buy the Dell and save a few hundo? It seems like it's a no brainer to go with the Gateway if I do get a 30. I'll list a few pros and cons just to make it concise.

pros:

-many tables, clear screens, much less eye strain
-consolidate tv and entertainment center to my computer room
-replaces tv without having to get a new one

cons:

-expensive
-probably means i need a new desk if i want to use all 3 monitors
-doesn't mean I can play more tables, just means it'll be easier on me, which means its not necessarily making me money.
-makes my recent purchase of $100 wireless xbox live adapter useless
-i'm not rich

thanks for your input.