View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Re: losing poker players

my barber said he had his best year last year...and lost $1000, mostly playing a beatable but fairly tough local pot limit game in town. a small amount was lost online, and another small amount on a trip to vegas. he copes with it by realizing he plays just for fun and can handle losing small amounts per year like that.

there is another couple of locals who have lost multiple thousands of dollars in the same local pot limit games. these two men... both older than most of your grandfathers... are long time donators to the game who, by one person's estimate have lost a combined $500,000+ over the last 25 or 30 years. they cope with it because they are both very rich and this money means very little to them.

my brother is also a lifetime loser. close to $5,000 over the past 2 years i would guess. he does not cope well with losing, and cannot really afford it. he is currently on poker hiatus.

most of the lifetime losers i know (and i know very many of them) play for the thrill of dragging a monster pot, particularly against those who are considered to be the "sharks" at the games around town. they get a sick thrill out of laying bad beats on people, and an even bigger one out of getting their money in good and having it hold up. it doesn't matter to them if they lose a grand during the session so long as they scoop a couple big pots that really hurt their opponent...again, especially if that opponent is known for being a very good player. and if they do so, th story is told coutless times to evreyone who will listen. most have more money than they know what to do with, so they cope with losing easiliy i assume because they are "winners" in life as far as money is concerned.

tripdad