View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

life and other spooners,

in the situation presented, are you specifically requesting a spoon? also, what color are you?

for the record, i had no trouble using chopsticks to demolish half of the sizable mound of fried rice right off the serving platter.

fartman,

unfortunate screen name you've got there.

[ QUOTE ]

i couldn't help but notice your avatar op and if you are super white like the avatar suggests (lol socks and sandals), you're gonna be given a fork 10 times out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not super light-skinned, but yeah, no one has ever assumed i'm anything but a white guy (and yes, those are my real feet in my real tevas-with-socks. be nice or i will sic the wrath of Peter Harris upon you.).

still, my rate of fork offers/restaraunt visit is far below 100% over my lifetime. in california, i think it's pretty common for everyone to know how to use chopsticks because asian culture has a long history there.

in vegas, there is no culture. i have been openly gawked at many times (primarily by old locals, obv) while eating those delicious potstickers from Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast poker room. once a chinese-from-china dealer (Lili) just straight up asked me, "you're going to eat with chopsticks?" as i was preparing to deftly dunk a whole dumpling into a cup of soy sauce.

anyway, the shovel-from-the-bowl method is obviously a good technique to have in the toolbox. would you specifically request a bowl if you were in my socks-and-sandals?