View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling (how the heck do y\'all do it)

Lately I've been focusing a lot on table and seat selection when multitabling. I play 3 tables, but it usually takes me the first 15-20 minutes of a session before I'm actually sitting somewhere I want to be at all 3 tables (with the fish on my right and all the TAGs and Rocks on my left).

For months I would just pick the first 3 tables I could find at my level with an avg flop percentage of >35%, and it was fairly profitable. But now I am much more selective on where I sit (Pokertracker helps a lot with that), and it has had a significant positive effect on my winrate.

I am willing to drop down a limit for one or even all three of the tables if I can't find a good one at my chosen level. It is much more important (for me) to have optimal games than it is to be at a given level. If all the tables are full of rocks, it's better to go downlimit and wait for some fish to come along (but pay attention to the higher tables and watch for a good opening).

It is also important to pay attention to the changes at the tables you are on. If it is profitable for awhile because it has a lot of fish, rest assured the tags and rocks will slowly gravitate to the table as seats open up. Eventually it will be a squeaky tight tagfest, and time to find another table. Lots of tag multitablers get their seat and never even look at the table unless they have a playable hand - that's why you see micro tables with flop percentages of 14% sometimes - they are all tagging each other and treading water at best.

It is always best to be the first shark to arrive, and to move on when the rest show up - lots of people get table inertia for no good reason. (If there is a prodigious spewfish to your right it can be worth sticking around, but mostly it is better to find another school of fish).