View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM

Default Re: ask me about eyes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slim,

How is it that even though my left eye is noticeably poorer than my right eye, I can still see more clearly with both eyes than with just my right?

It seems clear that the brain is not simply "adding" the two images together; it is using the information from my left eye, even though it is poorer, to improve the view from the right. Any clue how that works?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are using both eyes, not just the right.Even though your left eye is blurrier, it is still adding to the overall image bc it is seeing the object from a slightly different angle which the right eye cannot see. Tpgether, they make a 3D image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I mean is this. If I close my left eye and look at the screen here in front of me with only my right, it is almost imperceptibly slightly blurry. If I close my right eye and look only with my left, it is significantly blurry, as in, I can read with my left eye, but it takes effort. Yet when I look at the screen with both eyes, it seems perfectly clear, better than either individual eye. It doesn't have anything to do with 3D, because the screen is flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you would think it should be blurrier with both eyes opened just because the left eye is blurrier than the right.Your vision is blurrier in the left but it is still relatively clear so it contributes to the overall image. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of people have one eye slightly blurrier than the other.