View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: College Kid Debating about MBA Program

So it seems the consensus is to hold off and get my MBA later.

[ QUOTE ]
Won't your job opportunities be a lot worse after this MBA than if you got a regular MBA? Won't this make those opportunities like IB associate much harder if you can't get them straight from the MBA program?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a question I would like an objective answer to but can’t really get. The people I have spoken with (professors and the counselor to the program) say the program is similar to a typical MBA.

[ QUOTE ]
With the high price tag of an MBA (50 - 100k), it seems you are much better off trying to find a job that has a potential of getting you sponsored rather than getting an MBA and then looking for work. Thoughts appreciated?

[/ QUOTE ]

About the costs, it’s really not bad. I’m from Indiana so the costs would only be around 10K a semester, and it could be less than that from scholarship money and if I choose a graduate assistants’ program. I’m also cutting out a year of undergrad and that’ll save me around 15K.

[ QUOTE ]

1. What is wealth management?
2. Why do you want to get into it as an alternative to trading?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got in an interesting situation that allows me to work with a wealth management firm and potentially get an internship next summer with them. They manage people that have a high net worth within the region. It’s primarily businessmen, professors, and lawyers. They do a lot of retirement planning and set up educational funds for their children. They do a lot of portfolio management and allocations. They also sell various products that would be beneficial. Basically a financial planner/advisor.
I manage my own savings and money, along with a couple other close family members and a couple poker players. I enjoy doing it and the research behind it, and for this type of firm, it makes good money and the hours are very good.

This program was originally made to achieve your MBA and then take the CPA exam since you would have your 150 hours. It has expanded to finance and not just accounting majors. There’s a lot of work and projects I would be doing with other firms, but I know it doesn’t compare to “real” work experience.

So if I don’t do this program, what are your thoughts on getting a double major in finance and accounting based on my career goals? I could graduate in 3 ½ year and travel for 6 months or get the double major in 4 years. If I get the double major, I’ll have a lot less of a chance to travel for an extended period. I definitely want to go to the Australian Open for tennis and as a byproduct the Aussie Millions as they fall around the same time in January. I highly doubt I would be able to do this if I get the double major. Thoughts?