View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: NL CASH: article by me in 2+2 magazine

[ QUOTE ]
If you switch from a pot-raise to a minraise, but raise the same number of hands, and he calls with the same number of hands that he's calling with before, then you generate smaller pots while in position, with the same hand mix. So that's a net negative for you.

You save money when he reraises you and you choose to fold, but that's a lot less common than him flatcalling your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely correct.

In my example above I went from playing 60% of my SB (which is standard for me) to 100%... not only that but I was mixing up the ranges too. I minraised with AA once, and limped JJ on to LRR (he called, I stacked him).

So yes, based on your assumptions it would be terrible to ever minraise or limp.

I believe cwar once said that you can never judge someone's HU play from pre-flop and I generally believe that to be true. I think it's the optimal strategy to mix up your pre-flop ranges so that patterns aren't detectable.

The same could be said about "passive drawing". I love it. If you call OOP with a set just the same as when you are drawing or have TPTK, 2nd pair or even bottom pair, it is very difficult for your opponent to counter even with the positional advantage. All of your hands look the same and your opponent is going to start checking a lot of turns IP where you can capitalize.