View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: It\'s time for the R Word...

[ QUOTE ]

I can't just ask for money to cover the night's expenses, because I'm looking beyond that. There is economy in scale. I buy liquor by the case. And expenses fluctuate. Could be a new table one week, chairs the next, replacement cards, lighting fixtures, artwork, pinball machines, movie screen, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call yourself a poker player? This is just variance. Work out what the average is, and as long as you start out with the correct B/R you'll be fine, right?

[ QUOTE ]

mxp2004, I don't see how it's complicated. It's a lot simpler than a percentage rake, which is way too cardroom-y for me. The game feels like a big home game, I want to retain that as much as possible. It's a cover charge. And, for some, a processing fee.

SmallFry, I think there's a hell of a lot of value. At a cardroom, you pay $4 a pot and another $1/2 for tip, and alcohol is not included. I'm asking $5 a night cover charge, $5 donation more if you win. If anyone made a stink about it, I wouldn't force the person. But nothing says I have to invite him/her back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simplest way for me, and the way that doesn't leave anyone feel bad, is this. Cinsider the average pot is x. Take y from every pot that is 4Xx, up to a maximum of z.

Where y= a nominal ammount that the winner of a large pot will hardly miss.
z= average weekly running costs +small ammount extra to build your business 'B/R'.

Simpe eh?