View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: EDF book review, recommendations, etc - the mbillie edition

[ QUOTE ]

Also, to whoever recommended Special Topics in Calamity Physics in the other thread, I was actually looking at that the other day in the book store and almost bought it, now I will definitely pick it up, thanks for the rec!

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome! hope you like it. Guess I'll write a bit of a review here for teh others

<u>Special Topics in Calamity Physics</u>: Marisha Pessl's first novel, released last year, commonly described as a Nabokovian high school murder mystery. A hyper-literate girl and her father come to a new town for her senior year of HS, she falls in with an eclectic, exclusive group of kids that constantly hang out with one of the teachers. This teacher is funny, mysterious, and awesome; soon she turns up dead and the crazy [censored] starts. The story is actually quite simple, but it's stretched out to 500 pages of elaborate similes, cute illustrations, academic references both real and fake (but always hilarious), and some of my favorite first-person narration I've ever read. I understand that some will find it pretentious or off-putting, but I didn't at all. At any rate, I recommend it highly.

Also, funnily enough, I noticed a couple errors and typos in the book (not a lot but more than one would expect), and I don't think it was the author intentionally trying to level us. Hopefully this'll be fixed in future printings.