View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Mississippi Straddle

[ QUOTE ]
the game is very fun and at least 5/10 big. Other than that, table dynamics are so huge that much more commentary is table-specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

More general comments from limited straddling experience:

1. When you straddle from the button, it increases your positional power since you are last to act preflop too.

2. By straddling you are contributing to the “fun” “gambling” aspect of the game so your table image may be altered changes. As someone on this board told me (in a different context), you have to give action to get action. I think that applies here.

3. It often increases the number of players that see the flop and the pot is already raised. I am very comfortable in this type of game since I like to play a lot of hands and I like raised pots where I’m not that one that showed aggression.

4. Often the river is taken out of play. As everyone already pointed out, you become shortstacked since the game gets bigger. Even once I had $1,000+ in front of me, I never had to play the river on my big hands. I feel I can play the flop and turn well, but I really don’t have much experience playing the river in big pots when both myself and an opponent both have a pot-sized stacking sitting in front of us for river play.