Thread: 55 in BB
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: 55 in BB

[ QUOTE ]
One problem with this raise is that you are giving flush draws the correct odds to continue till the end..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a couple of problems with this raise that haven't been mentioned yet.

Firstly is what happens when you don't flop a set, but like the flop reasonably well. This would consist of flops like 742r and 882r. I don't know how often this sort of flop comes up, but I suspect you'll get them about as often as you flop a set. And it's ENORMOUSLY important when you have the best hand on this board that you don't encourage people to draw to overcards.

The second problem is that you may somewhat deaden your action if you flop a set, because opponents will have to fear that you have a big overpair. For example, say that the board is J85. You lead out, and an opponent with AJ raises. Now you 3-bet. A good opponent should just shut down and get to showdown at that point, because a big overpair (or JJ) is a huge part of your range. On the other hand, without the preflop raise, TPTK would probably be inclined to get another raise or two in along the way.