View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Just Got Patrik Antonius Answer To The Question I Asked Kenny Tran

I cant believe this post got this much attention. Of course the live guys would beat the internet guys in live, deep nlhe. The online guys have little to no experience playing under those circumstances. There is also the issue of tilt control, since its a lot harder to get it back live since the hands dont come out nearly as fast, and a lot of internet guys cant deal with that.

Kenny's comment about interent players not being able to lay down a hand is probably true. I've played a lot of live poker and a lot of poker online, and no question I call down much lighter online. There is a reason for it, its not just random senseless calling. Its a lot easier for the guy on the other side of the computer to click all in on the river after he missed his draw than it is to look somebody in the face and move in on a bluff. The games have always played more aggresively with more showdowns because psychologically its just a different game and there is more bluffing going on which leads to more calling.

One thing is for sure, you hear a lot more horror stories of live pros getting busted apart online than you do internet guys going broke playing live. The games have always been much tougher online. A random online 15-30 limit game is probably tougher than most any live 100-200 game going right now. A game as small as 5-10 nl probably plays as tough as a 50-100 live game. I think the players tend to be better because the online guys play more hands, study harder, and are constantly talking poker with other great players, due to sitting in front of the computer all day.

Im not trying to take anything away from the best live players, I think the guys who are saying it would be easy for an online guy to come in and pick up the same tells as a top player are being ridiculous. Thats years of practice, and some of the best players, like Kenny, probably have a gift that 99.9% of other players could never catch up with no matter how hard they work. But I'm fairly sure the best online players have a better fundemental understanding of the game and its concepts, and are probably better on a level playing field.