View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Marrying a Girl From a Different Culture

[ QUOTE ]

Well, he's been living among them for a couple years now, over in Thailand. My Vietnamese brother says the same thing. So did the Chinese and Japanese friends I've had.

When I've met their girlfriends, it's for the most part seemed pretty true, as when I met their families. Very traditional that way, extremely courteous to guests and solicitous, even if they are quite familiar guests. Very often insisting you eat something, and I mean like a full meal lotsa times, at any time of the day or night you come in. Have some hot tea, some sliced fruit, whatever. Very old country kind of thing. A lot of times American courtesy can be more on the level of "We gotta sink, go cup your hand if you're thirsty." Even when it's not, it's rarely anywhere near as solicitous. I mean these ladies will really knock themselves out. And then, quite often, they'll disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting that they are solicitous with guests. I've met some Asian women who are extremely courteous. The Korean girl who my friend is married to is really sweet and courteous. According to him, however, she puts on a different face to the public. At night, when it's just the two of them, she's spoiled and demanding (according to him) and also unwilling to compromise. But I realize it's just one Korean woman, though it sounds like Glorfindel was backing up my friend's observation of the Korean tantrums. I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not Asian wives are really that much more understanding and solicitous of their husbands than western wives.

I recall my mom telling me years ago that Japanese women made wonderful wives and mothers. This was her observation having grown up near some Japanese families.