View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: weak one card OESD?

bona,

it's funny because i'm arguing the opposite point in that ATs thread with doug.

take a look at SSH sections "Playing Agressively with Marginal Hands" (p. 148) and "Protecting Draws and Buying Outs" (p. 158).

i think that the extra flop action may be making this hand harder than it is. when it gets to hero the first time, he has a 1-card OESD and two overcards in a 10 sb pot facing a donk. i think of this as a two-way raise: raising sometimes cleans up outs so that we win the pot if an A or a T hits, so in some sense this raise is to "protect" our hand. raising is sometimes for value as we have 8 outs (discount to 7 with the flush draw out there) to a probable best hand.

the only read on sb is "probably LP". while it is worrisome that such a player is donking into us on a massively coordinated board, i see "passive" players do this all the time with flush draws, middle pair, and other garbage against which our hand is in good shape. remember, we raised pf, so obviously we have AK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

another thing to think about is how many good things can happen when we raise (buying outs, getting free cards) with what happens when we just call (???).

obviously, if we had known that it was going to be 3bet and capped behind us, raising looks pretty silly (and folding even begins to have some merit!), but given what hero knew at the time his window went "BEEP BEEP YOUR TURN BITCH!", i think raising is the best play.

hth.