Thread: AQ SB Playalong
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: And so we continue...

[ QUOTE ]
don't you think most of the hands that are raising my flop bet are 3betting my c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm much more worried about what BB is holding than what BTN has. If BB checks behind us, BTN bets, and we check then check/raise, we put a lot of pressure on BB to fold quite a few hands that we would love for him to fold--things like A6-A4 in particular, but also hands like TT-88 that he might well have called with preflop; to say nothing of gutshot draws with hands like 98s that we wouldn't mind getting rid of. Admittedly, it becomes less likely that he's holding an overpair or A6 if he checks behind us, but you see my point. And if BB is indeed "taggish", then I don't think it's a stretch in the least to expect him to raise a lead bet with many of those same hands.

Based on stats alone, BTN seems very much like the sort of player who will bet this flop with ATC if it's checked to him, and we're either ahead or drawing pretty healthy against a lot of his ATC combos.

Rico did an excellent job of summing up a lot of my concerns on a board like this, which I was too lazy to try to type out myself. From a single street point of view, there may well be some value to betting in this scenario. But I think the hand becomes much easier to play when we give up the lead on the flop, and especially if we can then use our check to isolate on a loose/aggressive opponent. I believe that this makes checking a better option...and if it does check around, we can likely take the pot down (or at least deny odds to nearly any draw) with a turn bet. Particularly if your table image is solid and you are viewed as a somewhat tricky but generally straightforward player.