View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you think you will FEEL on your death bed? Seriously? 1 second to go, and you are aware of it? I can't think of any worse feeling, and I know it's coming, and I know that nothing (else) matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. It can be the worst feeling in the world to deal with. But you do get over it when you realize you can't solve the problem rationally. I think you're in a phase where you're seriously facing your mortality for the first time and it royally [censored] sucks. Most people do get over it, however.

Painful as it is to realize, there is simply nothing you can do to prevent your own death, but you can certainly accelerate the circumstances. That's why I suggested you at least seek help/stop drinking, because when you go down that path, you start to affect others' quality of life. And while it isn't selfish to mull over this issue, when it affects others'... You see where I'm going with this, so I'll can the sermon. There'll be a Christian by soon enough with a cyber-pamphlet.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I should have added -

Why are you not bothered about ceasing to 'be'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sometimes. But since I can't do anything about it, I shelve it. And I'm a very long-term thinker and an agnostic, so I have faith in our descendants solving all the issues concerned with this universe and being able to construct something infinite. Icy comfort but it's the best I could do for myself.

Mortality, like many other things, befuddles human logic, so you have religion and other outlets.