Thread: hand vs. CDC
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: hand vs. CDC

[ QUOTE ]
PJ, would you care to five us an idea of what kinda hands CDC would be coldcalling with preflop from the sb? This is a 1/2 structure, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

He can pretty much have a very wide range here. I'd say 22-66, maybe 77 (higher pairs he's 3-betting), any suited ace, suited connectors 54s+, maybe 65s+ up to QJs (earlier in the session he 3-bet 76s in position, but from the SB he'd probably just call with these hands) and maybe some gappers like KTs, Q9s, and J9s. Not sure what he'd do with offsuit small broadway like QJo or KTo. Hopefully fold, but he might speculate with those too.

If he had looked at the flop and then bet it, I probably would have folded the river, putting him on some type of hand with a 4 in it (A4, 54). But his dark bet set the tone for the hand, and his passive play up to the river clued me in to the probability of him having not much of a hand.

By the way, I find it extremely difficult to play against CDC, since IMO he's not only one of the flat-out best limit holdem players I know, but he reads hands extraordinarily well and makes sure that his own hands are difficult to read. As a result, I found myself folding playable hands to his preflop raises (hands like Axo and KJo I mucked, knowing I was ahead of his range; I just didn't want to get involved... the one time I did 3-bet him with KQo I was lucky enough to have his K5 dominated).

As another example, here's a hand I played like absolute crap against him a bit later in this session due to a miserable read:

I raise UTG with KK, a LAG lady 3-bet in LP, CDC capped from the BB, we both called. Flop was 944, CDC checked, I bet, LAG raised, CDC check/3-bet, I capped, LAG folded.

Turn was a J. Check-check.
River 8. He bets, I call, he shows QQ and I feel like a vagina. CDC said, "It feels like I got slowrolled."