View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Are there enough NYC poker players who care to...

Driving from midtown Manhattan to the Catskills and driving to the Poconos takes roughly the same time. As recent posts in the legislation forum have pointed out, there is a very high chance of table games coming to PA within a couple of years (slots already coming).

For this reason I think NYC players need to be focusing less on Indian laws and regulations and trying to focus on just poker - that is, somehow proving that skill is a MUCH more predominant factor than luck.

Last time I posed this question it was left unanswered: isn't there some sort of legal precedent with backgammon (can't seem to find any info online)? Also, as funny as it sounds, pinball? Here is something I found:

[ QUOTE ]
<Pinball is a game that was banned in New York as it was considered to be a gambling game. In 1976 it was reinstated after it was proved to be a game of skill.

A ban on pinball machines in New York City (established in 1942) is lifted when Mr. Roger Sharpe, a writer for Esquire magazine, demonstrates to the City Council the ability to drop the 80 gram balls down any preselected lane at the top of a pinball machine by adjusting the way he pulls back the plunger. (Source: icwhen.com)
http://www.icwhen.com/book/the_1970s/1976.shtml

Testifying before the New York City Council at a hearing on pinball in April 1976, Sharpe, then a 27-year-old magazine editor in Manhattan, played three balls on a Gottlieb Bankshot, explaining to his audience as he played how pinball was a game of skill, not of chance. Sharpe
tells what happened next: "'Even down to this plunger,' I told them, 'there's skill. If I pull this back the right way, I should be able to send the ball into the middle slot.' I actually specified a lane, which, in retrospect, I probably should not have done. I pulled back the plunger, and wouldn't you know, boom boom, it went straight down where I had said [it would go]. These people kind of threw up their hands and said, 'All right. Enough. Fine, thanks.'"
The council reinstated pinball in New York City that summer. (Source: Cigar Aficiado).
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...Show_Article/0,2322,608,00.html>

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, even if a powerful lobby with political backing and good lawyers could get involved here, the chances might be raised from zero to 5%. Sad.