View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: How to play this live game

Hmmmm... I kind of waver a bit on this. I'm certainly not averse to Kala's opinion.

I like the raise more also if they tend to put you on AA with a raise, as they did me (mainly wrongly) for a while just because I'm tight. Now, I think the more perceptive players are realizing I'm more likely to have a wrap of almost any rank. I do raise AA, but I'm fairly selective about it, probably a little less than half of them.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the stack-depth aspect, wazz? That sounds interesting. Here's the way the game has been set from my perspective: There are two older players who are always deep but whom I don't really view as targets. Then it varies. On Friday, those were the only deep-stacks, and on Saturday, there were 3 other deep stacks whom I did view as targets (but on whom I regrettably was OOP most of the time).

Also relevant seems to me whether I'm deep myself. If I have only $400 or even $500 on the table, the targets can have $1,500 or more, but that's still all the stack-depth I'm playing with.

I'll just also hazard an attempt at how this might play deep and short: First, of all, you've got some good high card value (top 2, possibly ability to rep AA), but obviously not nearly as much coordination as with something like AQJT or even AQJ9, both of which are going to give you much bigger chances at straight draws.

With AQT3 to play a big pot for value, you're really looking for your flush draw imo, at least as the main strong feature of the hand (with a little extra for some straights and possibly draws to top 2, so it's certainly better than AQ73ss).

Let's say you hit your flush draw. If the pot is raised to $20 (I'm thinking this is kind of nice when I'm playing $400--5% of stack-depth), then a flop bet (or call) is going to be probably $120 or $140, and the field still in on the turn is likely to be small, like 1 or 2.

On the other hand, if you limp, you can bet or call with the flush draw and are getting phenomenal pot odds, because there are still going to be 4 or 5 in, maybe one of whom also has a bad flush draw.

I dunno, I'm kind of liking the limp given the way that it's likely to play out in this game.

I do think a lot of the value of the hand comes from calling with your naked flush draw on a board of say K57 when you can put villain on a set or top 2 or even AA and don't have an extra player in. Then (with stack-depth and reads), you can rep a straight on the turn while still having outs to the flush.

But the way this game plays, I almost think I need to have $800 or so in available stack-depth (and possibly larger cojones) to make this hand interesting for a raise.

But I'd be very interested to hear more of your thoughts on this, wazz.