View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: ***** November LC Thread *****

Someone help me understand this

I was reading Stoxtrader article here http://www.stoxpoker.com/poker-articles (the last one, about turn value check) and two statements puzzled me:

[ QUOTE ]
Example 1: avoid a check-raise when behind
You open-raise 9h8c on the Button. Only the aggressive big blind calls. The flop comes: Td, 9d, 3s, you bet, and he calls. The turn is a Qh. If he checks, you should check. Because of the coordinated board and an aggressive opponent, you would have to call down if he had check-raised. However, sometimes when he check-raises, your opponent will have you beat. Checking this turn gets you to showdown cheaply when behind, and gives you a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? If the board is very coordinated and you got c/r why you have to call? It's just because this board is likely to induce a c/r bluff? I could use some explanation.

The other is:

[ QUOTE ]
You should also be more inclined to bet with a weaker made hand or as abluff, because it is easier to fold to a check-raise. Also, with a strong draw (8+ outs), you should bet because your opponent only needs to fold greater than 17.5% (or less with more than 8 outs) for betting to be +EV. However, if check-raised, you obviously should not fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get where does 17.5% came from, really. Also why you should not fold to c/r? Depending on the odds you get it's a fold right?

Thanks