View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: A legitimately sick bottomset spot? (NL50)

How would you play this hand if you were c/r'ed like this and you held AA?

I think your bottom set is about equal in value vs villain's range to AA since he is either ahead (higher set) or behind (overpair lower than AA). I think 2-pair and straights seem unlikely since he limp/called a raise OOP and that usually isn't a good idea with 46s or 57s.

So, play like AA. How would you play AA?

Edit:

lol, I wrote my response before reading the thread so I missed this,

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I don't think my hand is more than 5% equity difference from AA in this spot and I think most of you would get away from that here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. So, what would you do with AA? Call the raise and proceed with caution trying to get to the river? Or push? Just curious. Villain probably puts hero on an overpair or missed overcards like AK. So villain's limp call/raise is either testing the preflop raiser with a mid-overpair, or he has a set and is trying to pot-commit the overpair. Given that villain probably has a pair, and probably puts hero on the range of big pair or missed overcards, what's your best play?

Re-edit: I think call the raise and proceed with caution. Try to get to the showdown cheaply. That's what I'd do with AA.

3rd edit: The real issue in this hand is less about what we have, and more about what villain thinks we have and what he does against that range. If he thinks we have an overpair or AK, then he might c/r once, and check down after that (unless he's a tricky and/or crazy bluffer). If he has a set, he'll c/r, lead the turn (or crai), then push the river (if he didn't crai the turn) expecting AA/KK to pay him off. Since we want to exclude 2-pair and straights and draws from his range due to the preflop action, then we should call the c/r and see how the hand progresses. Check behind on the turn. Call a bet on the river. Possibly value bet on the end if the turn is check and river check since his unimproved mid-sized overpair probably calls under those circumstances.