View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

[ QUOTE ]
So I just read this article on Jay Leno's staffers.

Leno's staffers are laid off

They've all been laid off and are pretty pissed. Apparently he had reassured them that they would not miss car payments and house payments, etc. during the writer's strike. The article also mentions that Conan is personally paying some of his staff's salaries at the moment.

"O'Brien confirmed Thursday, for example, that he would pay the salaries of at least 50 nonwriting "Late Night" staffers out of his own pocket on a week-to-week basis." Yay Conan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But when I read this I could not believe my eyes -

"The fact that some of Leno's writers are paid $500,000 or more annually also didn't sit well with suddenly out-of-work production staffers who make a fraction of that amount. Writers also are getting residuals on "Tonight Show" reruns that air during the strike".

Can this be true? $500,000?? My god I didn't realize how much these writers were paid. Any chance that it is off by one zero?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that figure would be accurate. The average writer on a show will make around $200,000 a year. A senior writer can make millions. Still, producers can make much more, and would not have a show without the writer. There are many useless executives out there in TV land.