View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Getting into Biking

The harder and skinnier the seat, the better you are in the long run. Yes it defies logic, Yes your ass is going to be sore for a while, so Im sure you wont believe me, but you are just going to have to trust me on this one. IMO Selle italia makes the best saddles, but a saddle is a very personal preference. Just find one thats rock hard and skinny and go from there.

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone looking to get into cycling, go to a bike shop, find out what size frame you need, ride a few models around, then scour ebay, craigslist and bike classified sites and buy a used one. Much better bang for the buck, and a much cheaper initial investment. If you start putting in a ton of miles, then upgrade to a nicer bike.

20 miles isnt all that far, just go out and put some time in the saddle, youll be able to do that distance easily in a very short time. don't start out with some training regime at the start, just go out and do some rides and see how far you can ride and what kinda shape you are in. Then get more into it.

If you want a book on training check out the "cyclists training bible" its pretty much what the name suggests.