View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

I don't know why it would be a "beat" to cut the holes. Sounds like fun. That said, their latitude as far as picking where to put them is very limited on every course out here, which either do zones like front/middle/back (often denoted by the color of the flag) or GPS systems, which typically have six fixed locations on the greens that dictate within a very tight range exactly where the hole is supposed to be cut for that day. If you ever see a situation where the GPS and the hole don't agree, it's human error - either the guy put it in the wrong place or, more likely, the pro shop didn't advance the pin set in the system to the current day and it's supplying old data.

Among the courses that babysat me all summer was a little 9-hole pitch and putt in front of a hotel. There was a 36 hole course affiliated with the hotel but it was actually several miles away. This little course's longest hole was maybe 90 yards. Anyway, I would be left there for twelve hours or so every day and would play the hell out of it (never paid, the place to pay was up the hill and I never went in there and they never bothered me).

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me is how they never changed the holes. As in, for years. I don't know how they didn't get totally grown over to be honest. I was super tempted to take my putter and gouge out a new hole location and move the cup to there. Surprised I didn't actually, because in my active imagination some of those holes would play totally different if the hole was elsewhere on the green, since several of the holes actually had sand traps. Never summoned enough courage to do it though, and some time later they did actually cut new holes. It was like christmas.