View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: The Religious Left - a factor in Nov?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great point about the non-profit status of those churches. My mouth waters at the prospect of yanking that from them.

Using nonprofits as political vehicles has been a calling card of the right wing money men.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the religious right as much as anyone, in fact I have a bumper sticker on my car that states, "The Christian Right is Neither", but lets face it, the democrats use churches as political get out the vote machines much more than republicans. The republican churches they use are just much more dispicable, though much smaller in numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

smaller in number isn't even close - the rise of suburban Mega-Chruches - (some now rent out stadiums) is directly connected to the increase in Religious Right activity on the political forum.

Maybe in 1960 - the Democratic party hasn't thrown any serious effort behind the churches in yrs. - and the Religious Left in question isn't really trying too hard to find a political identity.

Mostly we're so [censored] repulsed by the folks on the Religious Right we feel we have to say something to keep people from thinking Christian = "homophobic warmongering fundie bigot who wants women barefoot and pregnant all the time and wants to kill/imprison anyone who disagrees with them"

RB